The characteristic coastal town Cassis is located just outside Marseille, in the heart of the Parc National des Calanques. A unique environment and an ideal place to spend your holidays in this region with family or friends.
There is so much to do in this beautiful area: Activities in nature, many hiking trails, abseiling from the Cap Canaille, kayaking. You can relax beautifully in the small coves: just being lazy and sunbathing or swimming in the turquoise water.
The harbour is unique because of its location: bordered by mountains, it features an idyllic atmosphere. Throughout the year it is pleasantly busy, especially because of the many tourists. It is so inviting: the cosy terraces, the calm in the streets and squares and the sound of the fountains and everything comes with fantastic views.
Highlights in Cassis
- The Parc National des Calanques, on foot or by boat, alone or in groups.
- The panoramic Route des Crêtes with impressive views of Cassis, the sea and the Calanques (inlets).
- The wine from Cassis with its 12 vineyards, was the first wine that got the AOC origin label in 1936 (Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée). Especially the white wine is very famous.
- The village, the beautiful old town, the alleys, stairways and plazas, shopping and craft art (markets on Wednesdays and Fridays).
- The Provencal cuisine can be found anywhere: on a terrace by the sea in the harbour or in the village, at restaurants where they serve dishes typical of the area to gourmet restaurants including the two-star restaurant La Villa Madie.
Annual events in Cassis
Cassis fête ses vins (Cassis celebrates the wine), every year in May.
A typical Provencal feast with the following items: a mass for the grape pickers, a blessing of the young vines, a dance at the vines, meetings with winemakers and of course the new wine can be tasted.
Jazz sur le toit, a jazz festival in the summer
The concerts of the festival Jazz sur le toit at Terrasse de l'Oustau Calendal turn Sunday evening into a jazzy and atmospheric setting. A tempting terrace between the beach, Cap Canaille and the harbour, in the company of the best soloists and musical groups from the region. Admission to the concerts is free. Dishes and Cassis wines are indispensable (for a fee).
Les Vendanges étoilées, late September
The event Les Vendanges étoilées guarantees gourmand meetings in the context of gastronomy and vins de Cassis, the wines of Cassis. There is much to experience: culinary 'show cooking' demonstrations by chefs from various regions and by future chefs, a producer market, the evening 'Des étoiles et des chefs' (stars and chefs) and delicious menus at local restaurants. The event will take place simultaneously with the national celebration to celebrate French gastronomy, the Fête de la Gastronomie.